Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Crafty Quotes


I adore gifts from the heart, in any form, whether giving or receiving them. I particularly enjoy the process of making and giving them, and I do get a bit giddy when I come across a unique handmade project such as this quote scarf on Pinterest 8 months ago. Yes, from inspiration to fruition, it took me 8 months :( Admit it, y'all, you pin all day long too but then don't execute on those amazing-looking recipes, crafts or home designs. Had I known somewhere in the past 8 months that this lovely scarf would only take 30 minutes to make, sigh, I may have tackled it sooner. However had I done so, I wouldn't have this post to share :) It's true. All things happen for a reason.


Flashback eight months ago, I saw this scarf and immediately thought of my good friend Elizabeth. She not only likes scarves, but she is a lover of literature and quotes. Jane Austen came immediately to mind and her husband confirmed what I already knew to be true. So I ventured forth with the first line from the greatest love story of all time (in my opinion) Pride and Prejudice, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of good fortune, must be in want of a wife." 

 
So if I haven't lost you yet, which means you are probably thinking of someone special you could do this for and you are also reassessing your craftiness skill level (really this is easy), here's how I prepared to make the scarf. I went to my favorite online friend, amazon.com, to purchase the viscose scarf (~$7-14) and a set of fabric markers (~$13). 


I grabbed a cardboard box from my storage locker, cut it open and also cut off one side of the flaps. The cardboard will help absorb the ink from the marker as it seeps through the scarf. The clips help keep the scarf somewhat in place as you write. I practiced using the marker on an old t-shirt to get an idea of the pressure and how much ink comes out. I decided on a medium pressure which gave variation to the writing between solid black ink and faded black ink. Once done, I let it dry for a few hours, peeled it off the cardboard, and ironed the script to make it permanent. And voila

I was happy with the outcome but all the more pleased that my friend adored it. When her face lit up as she recognized the quote from only the first 4 words, my heart sang and quickly the guilt from needing 8 months to make this gift was wiped away. Handmade gifts equal exquisite happiness for both the giver and receiver! 

Next up...because with any project I always learn and retool for the following opportunity... I'm going to try thinner markers and two-tone writing (as seen in the inspiration scarf at the top of the post). 

Happy crafting and remember you only need 30 minutes, not 8 months, to make this lovely scarf!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks Liz! I may be getting a sewing machine soon and may want to attend some of your home workshops this winter :)

    ReplyDelete