Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Handmade Wreath

As much as I consider myself a crafty person, the last few Christmases due to time constraints, I have found myself buying the typical store wreath. It is always nice, for sure, and of course smells good, but there's nothing like making something yourself. I'm just a few days in with my new handmade coffee filter wreath (thanks Abby for the inspiration), but I can validate how happy I am to come home every day and see this puffy, fluffy, white, elegant albeit inexpensive wreath. It seriously puts the biggest smile on my face :) If you're ready to get your craft on, follow these easy directions to make one yourself.

Materials (crafts from Michaels, JoAnns, Hobby Lobby and coffee filters from a grocery store)
    Small circle - $2.99 (with 40% coupon)
    Coffee Filters (100) - $.79
    Ribbon - $3.50 (in-store sale)
    Total $7.28

If you don't already have these, you'll need:
    Mini glue gun & sticks - approx $5





1. Crumple up one coffee filter. Make sure the tops are even.





2. Glue a good-sized dot on the outside of your circle


3. Press the bottom of the crumpled filter on top of the glue dot. Be sure to put pressure on for 10-20 seconds. Also be careful that you don't burn yourself, too much; unfortunately I couldn't seem to avoid this once in a while.
 4. After gluing coffee filters around the outside. Glue two more layers until the wreath is finished (the picture shows only two layers). Be sure to leave a one inch space in the same place in each layer; this is where the ribbon will go.

5. Affix to your door. Enjoy! Handmade Happy Holidays!



Extra tips:
- Do buy the smallest circle. Remember the wreath will grow 4-6 inches beyond the circle.
- I made this with the flat styrofoam circle (shown above) as well as with a green circle usually bought in the floral department. Works the same, still 3 layers.
- Pop in a movie and settle in for a little while. While easy in steps, it is something that takes time to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment