Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

Banff = Beautiful

Lake Peyto, Banff National Park
Ten years ago hiking sounded...well...HARD. Enjoying a Chicago summer festival fit my world better. But years do change us. What I wanted ten years ago isn't the same today. So I find myself, while still loving the hustle and bustle of the city, equally pining for the serenity of wide open spaces, countryside, and mountains. 

Camino de Santiago, Spain


It all started last summer when I got a grandiose dose of nature by walking the last 125 miles of Spain's Camino de Santiago (pictured above). The personal peace I found while walking sometimes 8-12 hours a day was indescribable. I soaked it all in and luxuriated in it like a warm, bubble bath with a good book to read. The smell of the trees, flowers, and manure! The sound of the babbling brook. The feel of the early morning fog lifting. The beauty of the magic hour as the sun rises. Heaven!

Emerald Lake, Yoho National Park
In the words of John Burroughs, "I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order." Nature has a profound way of instilling peace and helping to put life into proper perspective. All of a sudden, obstacles that are hard in everyday life, really become small and trivial. The important themes in life resound.

Lake Moraine, Banff National Park



"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

Oh Henry! You say it best. I do yearn to learn while in these reflective places and apply these lessons for a more meaningful life. These messages are always along the lines of enjoy the present, don't worry about the future, slow down A LOT more, love others, have faith, be grateful. The trick is not letting these go by the wayside once one returns to everyday life.

Valley of the Ten Peaks, hike up from Lake Moraine
And when I am here in these places, I am thankful. The gratitude pours out of me. Thank you God for my husband, home, dogs, family, and friends. Let me not forget to thank you for my nifty bike, farmers markets, lazy weekends, and Stanley's Fruit Market that sustains my juicing regimen. 

Lake Agnes Teahouse Hike, backside of the lake


I cannot stop and the thankfulness reaches a whole new level of the quirky and sublime. Thank you God for the Walgreens on the corner that saves me in a cooking pinch (case in point, just this last week, instant oats). Thank you for my bike that helps me get to my favorite peanut butter & nutella cupcake obsession at Molly's Cupcakes on Clark Street. Thank you for all the free books and e-books from Chicago Public Library and the kind but odd librarian who always checks me out. 

I love this quote by by e.e. cummings which encapsulates my point ever so much more eloquently, "I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes."

Takakkaw Falls, Yoho National Park
Johnston Canyon, Banff National Park

So nature beckoned this year again. Mike and I set our sights on Banff National Park because of all of the awe-inspiring, almost fake-like pictures we had seen. We wondered if it really was that beautiful. {It was! As evidenced by all the pictures in this post.} Banff is the oldest national park in Canada. It is part of the Canadian Rockies and is connected to several adjacent national parks like Jasper National Park, Yoho National Park and Kootenay National Park. There is so much to see, you could spend one week, two weeks or even three weeks here.

Lake Agnes Teahouse Hike started from Lake Louise in Banff National Park
We spent 5 glorious days here in this wonderland of nature. We hiked, tackling a number of moderate hikes which led us on a new journey (spiritually, emotionally & physically) every day. Every direction, every view, every hike, every drive was inspiring. Even on the last day I was still in awe of the beauty surrounding us. And I did not want to leave - a true sign of a great place.
Bow Lake, Banff National Park
View from Tunnel Mountain, Banff the Town
Bow Lake, Banff National Park

Athabasca Glacier, Jasper National Park

Go to the woods! 



No comments:

Post a Comment